What is the function of collagen in the skin?
Collagen is a protein which is found abundantly in the human body. Collagen has many functions, but one of these is to provide structural support to our connective tissue, muscles and skin.
Collagen is responsible for skin elasticity, as well as joint and bone health. Humans naturally create collagen in their bodies, however, with age this production slows down. The slowing down of collagen production results in a loss of elasticity, wrinkles and overall firmness. Smoking and exposure to UV rays from the sun and tanning beds also causes collagen to decrease.
Common skin complaints are often due to the loss of collagen as we age. Fortunately, there are things you can do to help stimulate your collagen production and keep your skin looking fresh! One of them is microneedling.
By regularly microneedling with your Dr Pen device, you can naturally stimulate your collagen production and improve the appearance of fine lines and a loss of elasticity - these are the keys to a more youthful complexion. Microneedling stimulates the production of collagen through the creation of micro-injuries. In fact, microneedling works the same way as lasers do, the only difference is with microneedling you’re injuring the skin mechanically instead of through heat or light. According to NYC dermatologist Dr Sejal Shah, “The micro-injuries you create stimulates the body’s natural wound healing processes, resulting in cell turnover and increased collagen and elastin production, therefore reversing as well as preventing signs of aging.” The Dr Pen Ultima X5 is the superior microneedling device on the market - learn more here.
If you’re going to invest in microneedling, it’s advisable you keep up a good skincare routine in between sessions for optimum results. Serums with vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, peptides and ceramide are fantastic for the skin and will help you maintain a beautiful complexion.
See below for our extra tips for vibrant skin:
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure and always wear sunscreen when heading outdoors. An SPF of at least 30+ is recommended
- Invest in good quality skincare products suitable for your skin type. Consult a dermatologist to help with specific concerns such as acne or rosacea or if you have any concerns
- Quit smoking
- Reduce refined sugar intake. Read more about the effects sugar has on your appearance here
- Eat a diet rich in healthy fats, protein, calcium and antioxidants
- Reduce your stress levels with yoga, meditation, or anything which relaxes you. Learn more about how stress can affect you here
- There is some evidence to suggest taking collagen orally may improve the appearance and overall health of your skin.
- Exercise regularly
Supported by real people
From our in-house Beauty Advisor to the warehouse staff that package your order with love and care, we are invested in your results. We are here to help you and be a part of your skin journey.